Handling Tips for Assured Safety
• Poultry products must be stored in the original shipping cartons to prevent bruising, tearing of plastic wraps and to facilitate storage.
• If purchased frozen, product should be stored in the freezer immediately.
• Keep meat frozen (0ºF or lower) or refrigerated (35º to 40ºF) until used.
• Avoid the “Danger Zone” (40° to 140° F) in which harmful bacteria may thrive.
• Recommended temperatures for cooking:
◦ 180° F (82° C) for whole bird that contains the bone,
◦ 170° F (76° C) for parts that contain the bone,
◦ 160° F (71° C) for boneless parts and processed items.
• Meat processing safety practices include maintaining carefully sanitized utensils and equipment in addition to employees' hygiene.
• Proper sanitation is essential to prevent or control cross-contamination.